Universities and Colleges for the Climate Summit
In advance of the Secretary General’s Climate Summit on September 23, networks and institutions working in Further and Higher Education are coming together to add their support to this letter that would be shared with key government officials and the media in advance of this event.
The aim is to get as many networks and institutions as possible on board in order to showcase the commitments towards the attainment of SDG 4 (Education) and 13 (Climate Change).
As at 21st May 2019, networks from the Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI), Global Alliance, EAUC - The Alliance for Sustainability Leadership in Education and Second Nature have already agreed to support this letter. Collectively, they represent over 500 individual institutions
Who can sign: Ideally, the president or chancellor of respective institutions will sign on to this letter on behalf of the institution. However, if an institution has already committed to the actions outlined below via previous agreements, any faculty or staff member of the institution can sign on to reiterate its pre-existing commitment. If you have any questions regarding who can sign on to this letter, please contact us. Networks that represent higher and further education institutions can also sign on to the letter.
Deadline: The current deadline for signing on to this letter is August 1st 2019. If you are ready to add your network or institution to this letter, then please sign on to this letter via this form which will take no more than 2 minutes to complete.
Climate Emergency Letter
As institutions and networks of higher and further education from across the world, we collectively declare a Climate Emergency in recognition of the need for a drastic societal shift to combat the growing threat of climate change.
The young minds that are shaped by our institutions must be equipped with the knowledge, skills and capability to respond to the ever-growing challenges of climate change. We all need to work together to nurture a habitable planet for future generations and to play our part in building a greener and cleaner future for all.
We are today committing to collectively step up to the challenge by supporting a three-point plan which includes:
- Mobilizing more resources for action-oriented climate change research and skills creation;
- Committing to going carbon neutral by 2030 or 2050 at the very latest;
- Increasing the delivery of environmental and sustainability education across curriculum, campus and community outreach programmes.
We call on governments and other education institutions to join us in declaring a Climate Emergency and back this up with actions that will help create a better future for both people and our planet.
23 institutions representing approx. 200,000 students
14 networks representing approx. 6,000 institutions
Signed by Networks
- Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI)
- Global Alliance
- EAUC - The Alliance for Sustainability Leadership in Education
- Second Nature
- YEA! Network
- Caribbean Youth Environment Network
- Campus Responsables
- Globally Responsible Leadership Initiative - GRLI
- COPERNICUS Alliance (CA)
- U.S. Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
- NSCN, Nordic Sustainable Campus Network
- National Union of Students UK
- Students Organising for Sustaniability (SOS) - UK
- Intentional Endowments Network
Signed by Institutions
- Tongji University, China
- Bridgend College, UK
- Strathmore University, Kenya
- Zayed University, UAE
- University of Glasgow, UK
- University of Bristol, UK
- Centro Regional de Geomatica - CeReGo, Argentina
- Women in Energy & Environment at MENA region, Kuwait
- Grenoble Ecole de Management, France
- EDC Paris Business School, France
- Excelia Group La Rochelle Business School, France
- Kedge Business School, France
- ICN Business School, France
- University of the West of England Bristol, UK
- Toulouse INP - ENSAT, France
- University of Winchester, UK
- Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Lille, France
- Sierra Nevada College, USA
- Southern Connecticut State University, USA
- TERI School of Advanced Studies, India
- College of Saint Benedict, USA
- California State University, Monterey Bay, USA
- Umma University, Kenya